Did you miss last week’s digital media updates? Worry not. We’ve got you covered.
1. Instagram Will Soon Let You Know When “You’re All Caught Up”
Image source: vizore.al
Instagram is testing a new feature that will help you fight your FOMO anxiety on the platform.
• Instagram is testing a “time well-spent” feature, that will help you fight that anxiety you feel when you’re scrolling through your Instagram feed and think: “Have I seen everything there is to see?”
• The feature, currently being tested amongst a small group of users, brings up an alert that says “You’re All Caught Up – You’ve seen all new post from the past 48 hours.”
• Does the alert mean you’ve seen every single post from everyone you follow, or the ones that Instagram’s algorithm has decided to show you? We don’t know, yet!
2. ALTBalaji surpasses the 1 million paid subscriber mark within a year of launch
Image source: gatewaydigital.in
The company saw 11 million direct app installs and an additional 2.2 million through web browsers.
• 800 million minutes of video have been consumed so far with an average watch time of 120 minutes per user.
• Currently, there are over 150 hours of content available on the platform and over 100 minutes of original content will soon be launched.
• Install base does not include users accessing the service through Telecom apps such as Vodafone Play, Reliance Jio and Airtel TV.
3. Twitter Is Getting Rid Of Most Of Its TV Apps
Image source: pandaily.com
Twitter is cutting down on the number of apps it has out there.
• Twitter has now announced that it is shutting down its TV apps on Roku, Android TV, and Xbox.
• This sudden move follows the shutdown of its Mac desktop app earlier in the year, and the launch of API changes lately that are rather “anti third-party.”
• Twitter for Apple TV and Twitter for Amazon Fire TV will remain. For now.
4. Your fave OTT platforms are coming to live on your TVs!
Image source: mabunetwork.com
Tata Sky to be the supplier for Netflix, Hotstar, and Amazon Prime.
• The OTT sector is going live in your living room with Tata Sky supplying the top platforms.
• This will be achieved by a change in hardware, modified to host both DTH and OTT.
• Tata Sky biggies back this move by saying that TV will never be under threat, even after hosting other platforms.
Wonder where advertising on these platforms will go with this move.
5. Facebook Teams Up With Qualcomm To Bring High-Speed Wireless Internet
Image source: nuevodiarioweb.com.ar
As part of its Terragraph Project, Facebook is teaming up with Qualcomm to bring high-speed wireless internet to dense urban areas.
• Last year, Facebook announced its Terragraph Project, a “multi-node wireless system focused on bringing high-speed internet connectivity to dense urban areas.
• In developing economies, mobile networks are simply not fast enough. In developed economies, infrastructure is unable to keep up with the growth of the “exponential growth in the consumption of photos and video at higher and higher resolutions.”
• With Terragraph, Facebook wants to solve these problems, simply by “utilizing commercial off-the-shelf components,” but also “leveraging the cloud for intensive data processing.”
6. Instagram CEO confirms upcoming ‘time spent’ Usage Insights’
Image source: theapplepips.com
Users will be able to see how much time has been spent on the app.
• The time frame for the data has not been revealed, whether it would be the total time spent or for a shorter period.
• Instagram has also prototyped a new commenting interface with a row of quick-add emojis and an @ button for tagging friends.
• The app is also prototyping Android notification actions that let you reply to a comment directly from a notification without opening the Instagram app.
7. Instagram Officially Launches Ability To Re-share User Posts In Stories
Image source: instagram-press.com
The process of using this new feature is fairly simple.
• Instagram has announced that the capacity to share regular, public Instagram posts to Instagram Stories is now being rolled out to all users.
• To share a post in your Story, tap the airplane button below the post and select “Create a story with this post.” The post can then be used as a sticker.
• You can rotate, scale and move the post sticker as you wish. The original poster’s details will be included with the re-used post.
8. You can now mute those annoying Instagram posts
Image source: refinery29.uk
Instagram is rolling out an option to mute profiles.
• The mute option remove posts from chosen users from your Instagram timeline.
• To mute an account, tap the menu in the corner of the post.
• You can choose to mute posts or stories from an account.
• Instagram is testing other updates that are coming soon to you.
9. Facebook Rolls Out New Information Tools To Help Reduce Spread Of Fake News
Image source: fossbytes.com
The new measures will provide additional transparency over the News Feed process.
• The issue of fake or misleading news, and the way that it spreads through social networks is understandably tough to address.
• Facebook has announced the latest steps in its efforts to stop the spread of fake and misleading news on the platform.
• A 12-minute video, several explainers, and a new website is dedicated to providing oversight into the News Feed process.
10. Hugging Face Chatbot Is The Best Artificial BFF For Teenagers
Image source: pinterest.com.mx
Hugging Face, the fast-growing chatbot startup that has quickly become the best artificial BFF for teenagers.
• Chatbots are a great way to stay in touch with your customers, your readers, and any other kind of audience in fact.
• That’s the idea behind Hugging Face. This startup has built an incredible chatbot that lets you have unlimited chats with your own AI minion. It’s not about sales, service, or convenience; it’s about emotions and entertainment.
• The app handles over 1 million messages per day. It has been available as a standalone app for iOS and as a chatbot on Kik. Today the company that developed it is also bringing it to Messenger, to gain further traction.
Goodbye for now, friends, but hope to see you next week!
Featured image source: theodysseyonline.com