Missed out on the latest news in the world of media? Fret not, we’re here for you!
1. Netflix’s million dollar baby
Image source: podfanatic.com
Font or finance? Seems like Netflix can have it both
- Netflix has ditched the old Gotham font used by most entertainment brands
- They have moved to a cleaner, more refined font called “Netflix Sans”
- This move not only sets apart their font, it also saves them big bucks in terms of licensing fees for Gotham
Next time you’re stuck because of licensed fonts, try creating a new one? No pressure!
2. Gun-videos on Youtube, no more bullet-proof
Image source: in.pinterest.com
YouTube is tightening restrictions on videos promoting firearms and accessories
What targets has YouTube shot at?:
- Videos that promote the sale of firearms and accessories will be banned.
- Video tutorials on ‘How to build a gun’ are to be hidden from the public eye.
- Gun-related channels to be taken down as well.
Safe to say it’s a good step towards controlling gun violence. How effective will it be, only time can tell.
3. LinkedIn gets a new minor update.
Clickable hashtags and a new profile format!
- LinkedIn started supporting clickable hashtags again, after disabling them for several years.
- If you’re not using hashtags on your LinkedIn posts, it may be time to start researching them.
- There’s a new profile layout coming to all users very soon.
4. An app is finally listening to its audience!
Image source: socialmedia.info
That’s right, Snapchat is going back to its previous layout.
- Some users are starting to see the old ordering of their Stories – whether they have the version of the app where Stories and Chats are separate or the version with the Stories and All tabs.
- While growth is definitely a big part of Snapchat’s priorities, it’s doing its best to listen to its users, right now!
5. ANew Visual Storytelling Format- Google AMP Stories
Image source: pintrest.com
Google has launched a “new visual storytelling format” called AMP Stories.
- AMP Stories allows publishers to combine text, images, videos, and graphics in single posts that can be indexed and surfaced in search.
- AMP Stories was built for mobile – as the content is fast-loading, just like other AMP-ecosystem formats.
- Google allows publishers to be able to advertise within their content. More importantly, publishers will be able to keep 100% of the ad revenue from the feature
6. A major tool for Business Development is coming back in a new avatar
Email marketing is undergoing a “rebirth”
- From charity to pure businesses, email is making a comeback.
- Return on investment for email increased from an estimated £30.03 for every £1 spent in 2016 to £32.28 in 2017
- Seventy-three percent of marketers rate email as the number one digital channel for ROI
7.LinkedIn is adding GIFs to its messaging
Image source: tab.company
LinkedIn brings it one step closer to being “just another Facebook.”
- LinkedIn was always perceived as the “serious” platform, the business network. But the company has taken a surprising turn lately.
- First, it added video. The idea was to provide professionals and companies with a modern tool to communicate with their peers and customers.
- After being acquired by Google, Tenor is scoring yet another big victory, becoming the exclusive GIF search engine for LinkedIn.
8.Facebook can’t undo much, but we can!
Image source: funnyjunk.com
The social networking platform begins afresh with its attempts to improve user data privacy & security
- After contemplating for long, the Messenger will now allow its users to unsend their messages for both parties in communication.
- It will introduce a tool for the bulk removal of all third-party apps synced to the Facebook account and the posts made through it.
- The advertisers can look forward to a new custom audience certification tool, which will allow them to push content on email addresses obtained by user consent only.
9.Hold that thought! We’ll lock it down later.
Image source: pintrest.com
Update in progress for a new “locked recordings” feature by WhatsApp beta programme for Android V 2.18.70 & V 2.18.71
Three steps to hands-free voice note recording!
- Press and hold the mic icon for 0.5 sec.
- Wait for the “cancel” and “lock” icon to appear.
- Swipe to the pick the “lock” icon and release the button.
Currently, in the test mode, this feature will come with its own set of limitations.
10.Instagram will soon allow users to download their data
Image source: hhfa.in
You will soon be able to download a copy of all the content you’ve uploaded on the photo-sharing platform
- The disclosure comes amid global concerns about the privacy of users’ information on social media platforms
- While FB allowed users to download its data, Instagram lacked this feature
- Instagram is building a new data probability tool allowing users to download data including their photos, videos, and messages
That’s all for this week. See you next time!
all gifs from giphy
Featured image source: careerninja.in
White Rivers Media, a leading digital marketing company in Mumbai and Delhi, that offers creative solutions for Digital, Design, Social and Video needs of leading national and global brands.